Professor Darl G Kolb
PhD, Cornell, MA, Colorado, and BSc, Illinois State
Darl is a pioneering theorist on social and technical connectivity and has published articles on the states of connectivity and the metaphor of connectivity in Organization Studies and 'requisite connectivity' in Organizational Dynamics. He is currently studying how connectivity affects performance and well-being. Darl gives keynote addresses on the subject of connectivity and the future of work and has been a Visiting Fellow at the University of Sydney and the University of Cambridge. He discusses the connects and disconnects of life on his blog, Connectivity Corner (drdarlkolb.blogspot.com).
Courses include "Managing Organisations and People" (BUSADMIN 771) in the Executive MBA and "Managing People and Organisations" (BUSMGT 711) in the Masters of Management programme in the Graduate School of Management.
Darl also serves as Senior Editor of the University of Auckland Business Review and is an Academic Facilitator for business growth and export programmes at the ICEHOUSE. He has co-authored and edited a popular book on business growth, called Changing Gears (Auckland University Press).
|Connectivity and team performance|
|Managing distance and isolation|
Research | Current
Currently developing a smartphone application (app) to help users monitor and manage multiple media (email, social networks) to avoid hyper-connectivity and seek connective 'flow' for increased performance and well being.
Connectivity and Team Performance
Multi-year study of distributed work teams within global, knowledge-intensive firms testing our theoretical model of 'requiste connectivity.'
Isolation and Remoteness
Exploring the social psychology of distance and its impact on organisations, especially those in isolation.
Teaching | Current
|2007||2013||Dept. Management & Int'l Bus.||Assoc. Professor|
|2012||2012||University of Cambridge||Visiting Fellow|
|1997||2006||University of Auckland||Senior Lecturer|
|1992||1996||University of Auckland||Lecturer|
|1989||1991||Cornell University||Research Associate|
|1982||1988||Santa Fe Mountain Center||Project Director|
|1981||1982||Colorado Outward Bound School||Instructor|
|2009||BUSADMIN 771||Managing Organisations and People|
|2009||MGMT 301||Management in Action|
|2009||MGMT 725||Special Topic: Globally Distributed Work|
7 PhDs supervised to completion on a variety of topics, all contributing to their fields, as well as a recent Masters graduate placed at George Washington University in Washington, DC and PhD candidate who is leading his field of Service Science through a connectivity lens.
- 2010 Dean's Award for Teaching Collaboration
- 2005 Dean's Award for Excellence as Editor of the UABR
- 2004 Excellence Award - Distance Education Association of New Zealand
- 1998 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 University of Auckland Distinguished Teaching Award
Graduate Research Supervision, Executive Education and Business Growth.
Areas of expertise
Cyber-sociology associated with distributed work, ubiquitous networks and hyper-connectivity (communications overload).
- Member-Academy of Management
- Member-Australia New Zealand Academy of Management
- Member-European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Member-International Sociology Association (ISA)
- University of Auckland Business Review Editorial Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kolb, D. G., Dery, K., & Huysman, M. (2014). Co-convenor: Sub-theme 44: Connectivity and mobility: Organizational control meets disruptive technologies. Paper presented at 30th European Group for Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Rotterdam. 3 July - 5 July 2014.
- Dery, K., Kolb, D. G., & MacCormick, J. (2014). Working with flow: The evolving practice of smartphone technologies. European Journal of Information Systems, 23 (5), 558-570. 10.1057/ejis.2014.13
- Kolb, D. G. (2013). Virtually there: The paradox of proximity. In R. L. Morrison, H. D. Cooper-Thomas (Eds.) Relationships in Organizations: A work psychology perspective (pp. 171-192). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Breidbach, C., Kolb, D. G., & Srinivasan, A. (2013). Connectivity in Service Systems: Does Technology-Enablement Impact the Ability of a Service System to Co-Create Value?. Journal of Service Research, 16 (3), 428-441. 10.1177/1094670512470869
- MacCormick, J. S., Dery, K., & Kolb, D. G. (2012). Engaged or just connected? Smartphones and employee engagement. Organizational Dynamics, 41 (3), 194-201. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2012.03.007
- Kolb, D. G., Collins, P. D., & Lind, E. A. (2008). Requisite connectivity: Finding flow in a not-so-flat world. Organizational Dynamics, 37 (2), 181-189. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2008.02.004
- Kolb, D. G. (2008). Exploring the metaphor of connectivity: Attributes, dimensions and duality. ORGANIZATION STUDIES, 29 (1), 127-144. 10.1177/0170840607084574