Dr Martin Berka
Martin joined the department in April 2014. Martin has earned his PhD at the University of British Columbia in 2005. At the department, Martin directs the PhD programme. He is a co-director of the Open Economy Macroeconomics research program at the Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis at ANU, an Associate Editor of the Journal of Economic Surveys, an Executive Officer of the Central Bank Research Association and a Board member of the Australasian Macroeconomic Society. Martin currently sits on the External Forecast Panel of the NZ Treasury. In addition, he is a Fellow of the Slovak Economic Association, and a research associate at the Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. In 2014-2015, Martin served as an Academic Fellow of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
Research | Current
For more details, please visit Martin's personal webpage: http://sites.google.com/site/mberka
Teaching | Current
ECON 241, ECON 751, ECON 191
Founding co-director, Open-economy macroeconomics research programme, CAMA, ANU
Academic Fellow, Reserve Bank of New Zealand (2014-2015)
Research associate, Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
Associate editor, Journal of Economic Surveys
Editor of the RePEc New Economic Papers report on Open-economy macroeconomics
Areas of expertise
Open-economy macroeconomics, International finance
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Berka, M., Devereux, M. B., & Engel, C. (2015). Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone. Auckland: University of Auckland.
- Berka, M., Devereux, M. B., & Engel, C. (2014). Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone [Working Paper] (Working Paper Series) Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA: National Bureau of Economic Research. 10.3386/w20510
- Berka, M., & Devereux, M. B. (2013). Trends in European real exchange rates. Economic Policy, 28 (74), 193-242. 10.1111/1468-0327.12006
- Berka, M., Crucini, M. J., & Wang, C.-W. (2012). International risk sharing and commodity prices. Canadian Journal of Economics/Revue canadienne d'économique, 45 (2), 417-447. 10.1111/j.1540-5982.2012.01706.x
- Berka, M., Devereux, M. B., & Engel, C. (2012). Real Exchange Rate Adjustment in and out of the Eurozone. American Economic Review, 102 (3), 179-185. 10.1257/aer.102.3.179
- Berka, M., & Zimmermann, C. (2012). Basel Accord and Financial Intermediation: The Impact of Policy
- Berka, M., & Crucini, M. (2011). The Consumption Terms of Trade and Commodity Prices. In T. Ito, A. Rose (Eds.) Commodity Prices and Markets (pp. 119-145). Chicago, Illinois, USA: University of Chicago Press. Related URL.
- Berka, M., & Devereux, M. B. (2011). What determines European real exchange rates?