Applying to study at the University of Auckland

Questions and answers about how and when to apply.

How do I apply?

You can now apply for admission to the University of Auckland on Student Services Online.

If you do not have internet access, hard copies of the application form can be obtained by contacting the University of Auckland at the below address:

International Office
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
New Zealand
Facsimile: +64 9 373 7663
Phone: +64 9 373 7513

Alternatively, you can pick up an application form from one of our University's representative offices around the world. You may obtain more information on programmes at the University of Auckland from outside New Zealand via these Trade New Zealand Offshore Education Teams or Overseas Representatives. Staff in these offices can assist you in making your application to the University of Auckland.


Is there an application fee?

The University of Auckland does not currently have an application fee for international students.


Does the University of Auckland accept late applications?

Late applications may be accepted and considered but there is no guarantee that they can be processed in time for the proposed intake or that there will be space available in your selected course. All on-time applications will be processed before late applications are assessed.


I haven't received my academic results yet. Can I still apply to the University of Auckland?

If you are still waiting for final results, you may still submit your application so as to minimise delays. If the application does not contain all documents/results, it will still be processed as far as is possible. It is your responsibility to provide us with a certified copy of your final results as soon as they become available so that we can finalise the application process. Your application should be as complete as possible and you should include as much of the requested information as you can. If we require further information, we will contact you.


Should I send the original copies of my academic transcripts/qualifications? Who can certify my documents?

As documents that are submitted to International Admissions will not be returned we advise students not to send originals (except for IELTS/TOEFL and Chinese Notarial booklets for which originals will be required). You may submit a certified copy of the original.

Your documents can be certified by a lawyer, notary, Justice of the Peace, officer of a New Zealand Education Centre, Embassy, High Commission and Consulate General or registered agent of the University of Auckland. Documents which are not in English must be accompanied by a certified English language translation.


What happens after I have applied for a place at the University of Auckland?

Once the University of Auckland receives your application, we will send an acknowledgement letter. This letter will inform you of your computer login and password so that you can check your application status online. Your application will be assessed once your transcripts have been received by the University of Auckland, and it may involve your application being forwarded to the appropriate faculty. Please note, postal services to and from certain countries are quite slow, so please take this into consideration.


I haven't heard if my application has been accepted. What should I do?

It will take 4 to 6 weeks to process your application. We suggest that you check your status online regularly to see if we require further information/documents.

If you haven't heard anything from the International Office after this time-frame you can email us at


I've decided NOT to accept my offer of a place at the University of Auckland, what should I do?

If you decide not to accept the Offer, you will need decline your offer on Student Services Online.


If I have accepted an offer, can I change my mind?

If you have already accepted an offer, but then change your mind, please inform the International Office in writing by email, fax or letter - we will drop your programme for you. If you have already enrolled in courses, you must go online and drop those courses, otherwise you will be charged for them. If you have any problems, please notify Auckland International.


When I receive a conditional letter of offer from the International Office, what do I do next?

A Conditional Offer will often be given to those students who meet the academic entry requirements for University of Auckland study, but have not met the English language requirements. Once you have met the conditions, you need to send certified copies of your evidence to the International Office so we can assess the evidence and process your Firm Offer. You should contact the International Office if you wish to discuss or decline the conditions we have outlined for you.


Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS test for English Language Proficiency?

The University of Auckland expects all students to be proficient in English. All applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of their proficiency in English, usually in the form of an IELTS or TOEFL or the University's English Language Academy Certificate in English for Academic Purposes. For more specific details, please refer to English Language Requirements.


I don't have an IELTS or TOEFL score, or the Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes, can I still study at the University of Auckland?

If you meet our minimum academic entry requirements, you will receive a conditional offer, offering you a University place, subject to you meeting our minimum English language entry requirements. Depending on where you have studied, there may be alternatives to IELTS and TOEFL - please visit the link below for details about qualifications we accept from the country you are studying in. Otherwise you can contact the International Office for further advice.

If you need to do a course to improve your English before you start studying at the University of Auckland there is also programmes in English language support.


I want to study English at the University of Auckland, whom should I contact?

If you are interested in studying English at the University of Auckland before the commencement of your degree or graduate diploma course, you may wish to study at the University's English Language Academy (ELA). ELA offers General English, Academic English and English for Special Purposes at different levels to cater to students with different backgrounds and needs.

For more information visit the English Language Academy website.