Business School


Below are answers to some general questions about the University relating to international students.

Can I start a vocational/technical course then articulate/transfer to a degree course once I've completed it?

In some cases you may be credited with advanced standing (status/exemptions) on the basis of work you have already completed at another institution. If you are seeking advanced standing, you must submit detailed syllabuses (curricula) of the subjects successfully completed.


Can I study in New Zealand for only one or two semesters?

Yes, if you are enrolled at another overseas university, and would like to study at the University of Auckland for a semester or a year as part of your studies, you can participate in our Study Abroad programme and be eligible for full credits for your studies here when you return home.

For specific details visit the University Study Abroad and Exchange web page.


How can I obtain information and handbooks from the University of Auckland?

You can obtain information and handbooks from outside New Zealand via Trade New Zealand Offshore Education teams or Overseas Representatives. Staff in these offices can also assist you in applying to the University of Auckland. Please refer to the website for agent contact details.

Information is also available on the International Students website.

Hard copies can also be obtained by contacting the University Call Centre at the address below:

Call Centre
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
New Zealand
Phone: +64 9 308 2386
Fax: +64 9 373 7663


Can I study part-time at the University of Auckland?

No, all international students have to enrol/study in a full time course in order to fulfil the New Zealand Immigration policies. For tertiary educational institutions enrolment in at least 3 courses, or equivalent, per semester is indicative of full time study. The final decision on whether or not a student may be considered to be undertaking full time study rests with visa and immigration officers.


Is there anyone in my home country I can contact about courses available at the University of Auckland?

The University of Auckland has a network of representative offices around the world that can provide information about University of Auckland programmes and New Zealand Government regulations. Locate a Trade New Zealand Offshore Education Office or an Overseas Representative's office near you. Staff in these offices can assist you in making application to the University of Auckland.

Most material is also available on the University of Auckland website: Overseas agents and representatives.


What teaching methods are used at the University of Auckland?

A variety of teaching methods are used at the University of Auckland, these include; lectures, tutorials, laboratories, workshops, practical research projects, problem clinics and office hours.

Lectures and tutorials are the main ways information about a subject is given to students. Lectures can involve a large number of students, particularly with popular subjects. Tutorials are smaller classes, here you have the opportunity talk about the topics covered in lectures, ask questions or seek help. Tutorials give you the opportunity to express an opinion and debate information. Laboratories are similar to tutorials. These are practical sessions where you can put your knowledge to the test. Some laboratories include field trips.


Where can I get help with note taking, essay writing, spelling, reading, research, using a computer or presenting a seminar?

The Student Learning Centre facilitates the development of effective academic learning and performance skills in students, and helps those who encounter difficulties in their studies. Academic tutors of the Centre teach process skills which are crucial to academic success. The Centre's programmes cater for the learning needs of all students from first year undergraduates to postgraduates.


Am I able to get credit for studies already completed?

Yes, if you are currently studying at another university, you may apply to transfer into a course here, and apply for exemptions from subjects you have already done. Students wishing to transfer should apply using the normal application form. You will need to supply detailed descriptions of each individual subject for which you would like credit. As a general rule, credit transfer will not be assessed until after you have been accepted. The Faculties make all decisions regarding credit. In the case of a bachelor's degree, cross-credits may not total more than one-third of the total points value of the degree. In the case of a diploma, cross-credits may not total more than one-third of the total points value of the diploma. In the case of a master's degree, doctorates and certificates, no cross-credits are available.


When does the semester start?

The university year is divided into Summer School which runs for about six weeks and two academic semesters. The main semester starts in February or March each year, with a second semester starting in July. Some courses and programmes are only offered in specific semesters. There are also some specific programmes which are offered on a trimester basis. For the specific dates for each semester, holidays and exams please see Academic Dates.