Dr Charlotta Windahl
PhD Industrial Management, MSc Chem Eng
Having been part of The University of Auckland since 2007, Charlotta joined the Business School's Department of Marketing in January 2010. Before starting her academic career at Linkoping University, Sweden, she worked as a consultant at the Swedish Trade Council in Paris – dealing with Swedish companies that wanted to establish or develop their business in France.
Charlotta’s research interests are in the cross-sections of Marketing, Innovation and Design Thinking; and include issues related to developing and commercialising solutions through product/service and business model innovation.
Research | Current
Refereed Journal Articles
2013 STORBACKA, K. WINDAHL, C., NENONEN, S., SALONEN A. (2013), 'Solution business models: transformation along four continua', Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 42 No. 5, pp. 705-716.
2010 WINDAHL, C., LAKEMOND, N., ‘Integrated solutions from a service-centered perspective: applicability and limitations in the capital goods industry‘ , Industrial Marketing Management , Vol.39, No. 8 , 1278-1290.
2009 HOWELL, D., WINDAHL, C., SEIDEL, R., ‘A project contingency framework based on uncertainty and its consequences‘ , International Journal of Product Management , Vol. 28, No. 3 , 256-264.
2006 WINDAHL, C., LAKEMOND, N., ‘Developing integrated solutions: the importance of relationships within the network‘ , Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 35 No. 7 , pp. 806-818.
2006 WINDAHL, C., ‘Suppliers in the privatised UK wastewater market and their possible moves towards integrated solutions‘ , Water Policy, Vol. 8, No. 6 , pp. 559-572.
2004 WINDAHL, C., ANDERSSON, P., BERGGREN, C., NEHLER, C., ‘Manufacturing firms and integrated solutions: characteristics and implications‘ , European Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 7, No. 3 , pp. 218-228.
WINDAHL, C., BRODIE, R., STORBACKA K. (2013), “Service design: integrating service, practice and design thinking perspectives”, QUIS13, Karlstad, Sweden, 10-13 June.
KOWALKOWSKI, C., KINDSTROM, D., GEBAUER, H., WINDAHL C. (2013), “What service transitions? A critical analysis of servitization processes”. IMP 2013, Atlanta, Georgia, 30 August-2 September.
WINDAHL, C. (2012), “Institutions, systems of innovation and business models”, FMM12, Auckland, 9-12 December.
STORBACKA, K., WINDAHL, C., SALONEN, A., NENONEN, S. (2012), "A solution business model: comparison across business contexts", AMA SERVSIG International Service Research Conference, Helsinki, Finland.
WINDAHL, C. (2011), “Integrated Solutions: Managing technology-driven business innovations”, ISPIM, Wellington, New Zealand.
2005 LAKEMOND, N., WINDAHL, C., ‘Developing integrated solutions: a network perspective‘ , competitive conference paper, IMP 2005, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2007 WINDAHL, C., ‘Integrated Solutions in the Capital Goods Sector‘ , Linkoping studies in Science and Technology, Doctoral Dissertation No. 1098 , pp.1-216.
2007 WINDAHL, C., ‘Managing technology-driven business innovations: the case of Alfa Laval and Octopus‘ , IMIE Research Report, 2007:1, Department of Management and Engineering, Linkoping University
2007 TELL, F., BERGEK, A., BREDIN, K., ENBERG, C., WINDAHL, C., YAKOB, R., ‘Open Innovation - Opportunities and Challenges‘ In: Tell (ed.) , Research Report for Vinnova, KITE Research Program, Department of Management and Engineering, Linkoping University, Sweden
2004 WINDAHL, C., ‘Towards Integrated Solutions: Alfa Laval and the Wastewater Industry‘ , Linkoping Studies in Science and Technology Licentiate Thesis No. 1111, LiU-Tek-Lic-2004: 40 , pp.1-59.
1999 WINDAHL, C., THORELL, J., ‘International Environmental Management - a Comparative Study of ISO 14001 and EMAS in Sweden, France and Germany (in Swedish)‘ , Master Thesis, Published by the Swedish Office of Science and Technology: IRN Statt-Ur-99/2-Statt-SE
Teaching | Current
- 2013 MKTG305 Services Marketing and Management
- 2013 SCIENT702 Marketing for Scientific and Technial Personnel
- 2013 INNOVENT 202 Financial Management and Marketing for Business Growth
- 2012 BUS102 Business and Enterprise
- 2012 MKTG305 Services Marketing and Management
- 2012 SCIENT702 Marketing for Scientific and Technial Personnel
- 2011 MKTG301 Marketing Strategy
- 2011 MKTG305 Services Marketing and Management
- 2011 SCIENT702 Marketing for Scientific and Technical Personnel
- 2010 MKTG305 Services Marketing and Management
- 2010 SCIENT702 Marketing for Scientific and Technical Personnel
- 2009 MGMT305 / ENGGEN405 Innovation and New Product Development
- 2008 MGMT305 Innovation and New Product Development
2012 Master students in the Postgraduate Bioscience Enterprise Programme:
- Vina Komari: "Quality by Design - implementation in generic pharmaceutical new product development" BEST THESIS AWARD
- Thomas Berry: "Changing the business model of an SME in the Biotechnology sector"
2011 Master students in the Postgraduate Bioscience Enterprise Programme:
- Cecile Dassonville: “Exploring relational dynamics in a New Zealand university spin-off”
- Sandeep Chollangi: “Creating Entrepreneurial Networks in the New Zealand Medical Devices Industry”
- Nabita Singh: “From project based to matrix organisation: a case study of an expanding pharmaceutical company in New Zealand"
- Mikayla Duncan: “The Formation of a Value Proposition and its Effect on Customer Loyalty: A Study of the Food Ingredient Industry”
- Darja Pavlovic: “Capturing Value from Intellectual Property: A study of the commercialisation of university based innovation”
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kaartemo, V., Nenonen, S., & Windahl, C. (2020). Institutional work by market-shaping public actors. JOURNAL OF SERVICE THEORY AND PRACTICE10.1108/JSTP-08-2019-0176
- Windahl, C., Karpen, I. O., & Wright, M. R. (2020). Strategic design: orchestrating and leveraging market-shaping capabilities. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing10.1108/JBIM-03-2019-0133
- Nenonen, S., Storbacka, K., & Windahl, C. (2019). Capabilities for market-shaping: triggering and facilitating increased value creation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47 (4), 617-639. 10.1007/s11747-019-00643-z
- Hibbert, P., Callagher, L., Siedlok, F., Windahl, C., & Kim, H. S. (2017). (Engaging or avoiding) change through reflexive practices. Journal of Management Inquiry10.1177/1056492617718089
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Callagher, Frank Siedlok
- Nenonen, S., Storbacka, K., & Windahl, C. M. (2017). Shaping service ecosystems: an empirical investigation of required capabilities. Paper presented at Frontiers in Service Conference 2017, New York. 22 June - 25 October 2017.
- Kaartemo, V., Nenonen, S., & Windahl, C. (2017). Market-shaping mechanisms of public actors. Paper presented at The 5th Naples Forum on Service, Sorrento, Italy. 6 June - 9 June 2017. The 5th Naples Forum on Service.
- Windahl, C. (2017). Market sense-making in design practice: Exploring curiosity, creativity and courage. Journal of Marketing Management, 33 (3-4), 280-291. 10.1080/0267257X.2016.1272306
- Gemser, G., Karpen, I., Windahl, C., & Brodie, R. (2016). Exploring service design as a microfoundation for integrating theory and practice. Paper presented at 25th Annual Frontiers in Service Conference, Bergen, Norway. 23 June - 26 June 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Roderick Brodie