Emeritus Professor Darl Kolb
PhD, Cornell, MA, Colorado, and BSc, Illinois State
Darl is a pioneering theorist on social and technical connectivity and the first Professor of Connectivity in the world. He has been a Visiting Fellow at the University of Sydney and the University of Cambridge.
In 2020, Darl was the lead Guest Editor of a Special Issue on 'Connectivity In and Around Organizations' in Organization Studies (Volume 41 Issue 12, December 2020) and lead author of the introduction, 'Connectivity in and around Organizations: Waves, tensions and trade-offs.'
He continues to serve as an Academic Facilitator for business growth and export programmes at the ICEHOUSE. He has co-authored and edited a popular book on business growth, called Gearing Up: Leading your Kiwi business into the future (Auckland University Press, 2020).
Making sense of experience in a digital world.
Research | Current
Making sense of a digital age.
Teaching | Current
2013 2020 Graduate School of Management Professor of Connectivity
|2007||2013||Management & International Business||Assoc. Professor|
|2012||2012||University of Cambridge||Visiting Fellow|
|1997||2006||University of Auckland||Senior Lecturer|
|1992||1996||University of Auckland||Lecturer|
|1989||1991||Cornell University||Research Associate|
|1982||1988||Santa Fe Mountain Center||Project Director|
|1981||1982||Colorado Outward Bound School||Instructor|
|2013-2019||BUSMGT 711||Managing People and Organisations|
7 PhDs supervised to completion.
- 2021 Professor Emeritus
- 2013 Professor of Connectivity
- 2012 Life Member, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2010 Dean's Award for Teaching Collaboration
- 2005 Dean's Award for Excellence as Editor of the UABR
- 2004 Excellence Award - Distance Education Association of New Zealand
- 1998 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 University of Auckland Distinguished Teaching Award
Graduate Research Supervision, Executive Education and Business Growth.
Areas of expertise
Sociomaterial connectivity in and around organisations. Cyber-sociology associated with distributed work, ubiquitous networks and hyper-connectivity (communications overload).
- Member-Academy of Management
- Member-Australia New Zealand Academy of Management
- Member-European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Member-International Sociology Association (ISA)
- University of Auckland Business Review Editorial Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kolb, D. G., Dery, K., & Huysman, M. (2014). Co-convenor: Sub-theme 44: Connectivity and mobility: Organizational control meets disruptive technologies. Paper presented at 30th European Group for Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Rotterdam. 3 July - 5 July 2014. Related URL.
- Dery, K., Kolb, D. G., & MacCormick, J. (2014). Working with flow: The evolving practice of smartphone technologies. European Journal of Information Systems, 23 (5), 558-570. 10.1057/ejis.2014.13
- Kolb, D. G. (2013). Virtually there: The paradox of proximity. In R. L. Morrison, H. D. Cooper-Thomas (Eds.) Relationships in Organizations: A work psychology perspective (pp. 171-192). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Breidbach, C., Kolb, D. G., & Srinivasan, A. (2013). Connectivity in Service Systems: Does Technology-Enablement Impact the Ability of a Service System to Co-Create Value?. Journal of Service Research, 16 (3), 428-441. 10.1177/1094670512470869
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ananth Srinivasan
- MacCormick, J. S., Dery, K., & Kolb, D. G. (2012). Engaged or just connected? Smartphones and employee engagement. Organizational Dynamics, 41 (3), 194-201. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2012.03.007
- Kolb, D. G., Prussia, G., & Francoeur, J. (2009). Connectivity and leadership: The influence of online activity on closeness and effectiveness. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 15 (4), 342-352. 10.1177/1548051809331503
- Kolb, D. G., Collins, P. D., & Lind, E. A. (2008). Requisite connectivity: Finding flow in a not-so-flat world. Organizational Dynamics, 37 (2), 181-189. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2008.02.004
- Kolb, D. G. (2008). Exploring the metaphor of connectivity: Attributes, dimensions and duality. ORGANIZATION STUDIES, 29 (1), 127-144. 10.1177/0170840607084574
+64 21 043 0812
Primary office location
SIR OWEN G GLENN BUILDING - Bldg 260
Level 3, Room 341
12 GRAFTON RD