Professor Darl Gurney Kolb
PhD, Cornell, MA, Colorado, and BSc, Illinois State
Darl is a pioneering theorist on social and technical connectivity and the first Professor of Connectivity in the world. He has published articles on the states of connectivity and the metaphor of connectivity in Organization Studies and 'requisite connectivity' in Organizational Dynamics and a Special Issue on 'Connectivity In and Around Organizations' in Organization Studies (Volume 41 Issue 12, December 2020). https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0170840620973666
Darl has been a Visiting Fellow at the University of Sydney and the University of Cambridge. He discusses the connects and disconnects of life on his blog, Connectivity Corner (drdarlkolb.blogspot.com).
As an award-winning teacher, Darl has led the "Managing People and Organisations" (BUSMGT 711) core course in the Masters of Management programme in the Graduate School of Management. He also serves as an Academic Facilitator for business growth and export programmes at the ICEHOUSE. He has co-authored and edited a popular book on business growth, called Gearing Up: Leading your Kiwi business into the future (Auckland University Press, 2020).
|Connectivity in and around organizations: I am generally interested in the ways that anywhere/anytime connectivity is changing our lives and our world.|
Research | Current
Making sense of a digital age.
Teaching | Current
|2007||2013||Dept. Management & Int'l Bus.||Assoc. Professor|
|2012||2012||University of Cambridge||Visiting Fellow|
|1997||2006||University of Auckland||Senior Lecturer|
|1992||1996||University of Auckland||Lecturer|
|1989||1991||Cornell University||Research Associate|
|1982||1988||Santa Fe Mountain Center||Project Director|
|1981||1982||Colorado Outward Bound School||Instructor|
|2013-present||BUSMGT 711||Managing People and Organisations|
7 PhDs supervised to completion.
Seeking new PhD candidates of high quality who are interested in exploring our understanding of connectivity.
- 2012 Life Member, Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2010 Dean's Award for Teaching Collaboration
- 2005 Dean's Award for Excellence as Editor of the UABR
- 2004 Excellence Award - Distance Education Association of New Zealand
- 1998 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 MBA Teacher of the Year
- 1994 University of Auckland Distinguished Teaching Award
Graduate Research Supervision, Executive Education and Business Growth.
Areas of expertise
Cyber-sociology associated with distributed work, ubiquitous networks and hyper-connectivity (communications overload).
- Member-Academy of Management
- Member-Australia New Zealand Academy of Management
- Member-European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Member-International Sociology Association (ISA)
- University of Auckland Business Review Editorial Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kolb, D. G., Dery, K., & Huysman, M. (2014). Co-convenor: Sub-theme 44: Connectivity and mobility: Organizational control meets disruptive technologies. Paper presented at 30th European Group for Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Rotterdam. 3 July - 5 July 2014. Related URL.
- Dery, K., Kolb, D. G., & MacCormick, J. (2014). Working with flow: The evolving practice of smartphone technologies. European Journal of Information Systems, 23 (5), 558-570. 10.1057/ejis.2014.13
- Kolb, D. G. (2013). Virtually there: The paradox of proximity. In R. L. Morrison, H. D. Cooper-Thomas (Eds.) Relationships in Organizations: A work psychology perspective (pp. 171-192). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Breidbach, C., Kolb, D. G., & Srinivasan, A. (2013). Connectivity in Service Systems: Does Technology-Enablement Impact the Ability of a Service System to Co-Create Value?. Journal of Service Research, 16 (3), 428-441. 10.1177/1094670512470869
- MacCormick, J. S., Dery, K., & Kolb, D. G. (2012). Engaged or just connected? Smartphones and employee engagement. Organizational Dynamics, 41 (3), 194-201. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2012.03.007
- Kolb, D. G., Prussia, G., & Francoeur, J. (2009). Connectivity and leadership: The influence of online activity on closeness and effectiveness. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 15 (4), 342-352. 10.1177/1548051809331503
- Kolb, D. G., Collins, P. D., & Lind, E. A. (2008). Requisite connectivity: Finding flow in a not-so-flat world. Organizational Dynamics, 37 (2), 181-189. 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2008.02.004
- Kolb, D. G. (2008). Exploring the metaphor of connectivity: Attributes, dimensions and duality. ORGANIZATION STUDIES, 29 (1), 127-144. 10.1177/0170840607084574