Professor Henk Berkman
Research | Current
Berkman, H., Clement, R., & Zhang, A. (2015). KiwiSaver risk indicators. New Zealand Economic Papers, 1-17.
Berkman, H., Jacobsen, B., & Lee, J. B. (2015). Rare disaster risk and the expected equity risk premium. Accounting & Finance, n/a.
Berkman, H., Koch, P. D., & Westerholm, P. J. (2014). Informed Trading through the Accounts of Children. Journal of Finance, 69(1), 363-404.
Berkman, H., Cole, R. A., & Fu, L. J. (2014). Improving corporate governance where the State is the controlling block holder: evidence from China. The European Journal of Finance, 20(7-9), 752-777.
Berkman, H. (2013). The Capital Asset Pricing Model: A Revolutionary Idea in Finance!. Abacus, 49(SUPPL.1), 32-35.
Berkman, H., Koch, P. D., Tuttle, L., & Zhang, Y. J. (2012). Paying attention: Overnight returns and the hidden cost of buying at the open. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 47(4), 715-741.
Berkman, H., & Comerton-Forde, C. (2011). Market microstructure: A review from down under. Accounting and Finance, 51(1), 50-78.
Berkman, H., Nguyen, N., & Zou, L. (2011). The value impact of name changes evidence from Chinese firms during the technology boom. Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, 9(1), 85-96.
Berkman, H., Jacobsen, B., & Lee, J. B. (2011). Time-varying rare disaster risk and stock returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 101(2), 313-332.
Berkman, H., Cole, R. A., & Fu, L. J. (2010). Political Connections and Minority-Shareholder Protection: Evidence from Securities-Market Regulation in China. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 45(6), 1391-1417.
Berkman, H., & Nguyen, N. H. (2010). Domestic liquidity and cross-listing in the United States. Journal of Banking and Finance, 34(6), 1139-1151.
Berkman, H., & Ray, D. (2010). Independent Adviser's Reports - All Words and No Impact?. INFINZ Journal, (September), 18-22
Berkman, H., & Quirk, A. (2010). Slow Handclap From the Judges. INFINZ Journal, 2010(September)
Berkman, H., & Truong, C. (2009). Event day 0? After-hours earnings announcements. Journal of Accounting Research, 47(1), 71-103.
Berkman, H., Cole, R. A., & Fu, L. J. (2009). Expropriation through loan guarantees to related parties: Evidence from China. Journal of Banking and Finance, 33(1), 141-156.
Berkman, H., Dimitrov, V., Jain, P. C., Koch, P. D., & Tice, S. (2009). Sell on the news: Differences of opinion, short-sales constraints, and returns around earnings announcements. Journal of Financial Economics, 92(3), 376-399.
Berkman, H., & Koch, P. D. (2008). Noise trading and the price formation process. Journal of Empirical Finance, 15(2), 232-250.
Berkman, H., & Jacobsen, B. (2006). The impact of war and peace on stock markets. INFINZ journal, 1.
Berkman, H., Brailsford, T., & Frino, A. (2005). A note on execution costs for stock index futures: Information versus liquidity effects. JOURNAL OF BANKING & FINANCE, 29(3), 565-577.
McAneney, J., & Berkman, H. (2004). Valuing new product development and analysing license agreements for intellectual property. International Journal of Biotechnology, 6(2-3), 105-115.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., Hancock, P., & Innes, C. (2002). Derivative financial instrument use in Australia. Accounting and Finance, 42(2), 97-109.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., Hancock, P., & Innes, C. (2002). Derivatives Usage in Australia. Accounting and Finance, 42(2), 97-109.
Berkman, H., & Lee, J. B. T. (2002). The effectiveness of price limits in an emerging market: Evidence from the Korean Stock Exchange. Pacific Basin Finance Journal, 10(5), 517-530.
Berkman, H., and F. Navissi. (2001) "Rules governing the transfer of ownership: wealth effects and the influence of ownership structure." International Review of Finance 1.3 (2000): 229-244.
Aitken, M. J., Berkman, H., & Mak, D. (2001). The use of undisclosed limit orders on the Australian Stock Exchange. JOURNAL OF BANKING & FINANCE, 25(8), 1589-1603.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., & Ferguson, J. (2000). The accuracy of price-earnings and discounted cash flow methods of IPO equity valuation. Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, 11(2), 71-83.
Berkman, H., & Hayes, L. (2000). The role of floor brokers in the supply of liquidity: An empirical analysis. JOURNAL OF FUTURES MARKETS, 20(3), 205-218.
Berkman, H., & Bradbury, M. E. (1998). Instructional Case: Evergreen Forests Limited.
Berkman, H., & Eleswarapu, V. R. (1998). Short-term traders and liquidity: a test using Bombay Stock Exchange data. JOURNAL OF FINANCIAL ECONOMICS, 47(3), 339-355.
Berkman, H., & Steenbeek, O. W. (1998). The influence of daily price limits on trading in Nikkei futures. JOURNAL OF FUTURES MARKETS, 18(3), 265-279.
Berkman, H., & Bradbury, M. E. (1998). The influence of ownership structure on risk management: Evidence from New Zealand state owned enterprises. Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, 9(2), 117-131.
Berkman, H. (1998). The Usefulness of Earnings for Estimating Terminal Value. Unknown Journal, 27-32.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., Hancock, P., & Innes, C. (1997). An Analysis of Disclosures of Derivative Financial Instruments in Australia and New Zealand. Unknown Journal, 207-229.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., & Ferguson, J. (1997). An Analysis of Terminal Value Calculations: EVATM versus DCF.
Berkman, H., Bradbury, M. E., & Magan, S. (1997). An international comparison of derivatives use. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT, 26(4), 69-+.
Berkman, H., & Bradbury, M. E. (1996). Empirical evidence on the corporate use of derivatives. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT, 25(2), 5+
Berkman, H. (1996). Large option trades, market makers, and limit orders. REVIEW OF FINANCIAL STUDIES, 9(3), 977-1002. d
BERKMAN, H. (1993). LARGE OPTION TRADES AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MARKET MAKERS AND LIMIT ORDERS AS SUPPLIER OF LIQUIDITY. JOURNAL OF FINANCE, 48(3), 1067.
Berkman, H. (1993). The market spread, limit orders, and options. Journal of Financial Services Research, 6(4), 399-415.
BERKMAN, H. (1990). INTRADAY PATTERNS IN THE QUOTED SPREAD ON THE OPTIONS EXCHANGE AND THE INFLUENCE OF THE LIMIT-ORDERBOOK. REVUE ECONOMIQUE, 41(5), 789-798.
Teaching | Current
- 2012 Finance 705 Empirical Finance
- 2012 Finance 761 Portfolio Theory and Investment Analysis
Head of Finance
Areas of expertise
Market microstructure, asset pricing, corporate governance
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Berkman, H., Koch, P., & Westerholm, P. J. (2020). Inside the director network: When directors trade or hold inside, interlock, and unconnected stocks. JOURNAL OF BANKING & FINANCE, 11810.1016/j.jbankfin.2020.105892
- Aman, H., Beekes, W., Berkman, H., Bohmann, M., Bradbury, M., Chapple, L., ... Han, J. (2019). Responsible science: Celebrating the 50-year legacy of Ball and Brown (1968) using a registration-based framework. PACIFIC-BASIN FINANCE JOURNAL, 56, 129-150. 10.1016/j.pacfin.2019.05.002
- Berkman, H., Li, & Lu, H. (2019). The performance of socially responsible portfolios during the 2008 global financial crisis. Paper presented at 2019 AFAANZ Conference, Brisbane. 6 July - 9 July 2019.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Helen Lu
- Berkman, H., & Yang, W. (2019). Country-level analyst recommendations and international stock market returns. JOURNAL OF BANKING & FINANCE, 103, 1-17. 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2019.03.018
- Berkman, H., Jona, J., & Soderstrom, N. (2019). Firm value and government commitment to combating climate change. PACIFIC-BASIN FINANCE JOURNAL, 53, 297-307. 10.1016/j.pacfin.2018.11.003
- Hu, T., Tripathi, A., & Berkman, H. (2019). The Value of Free Content on Social Media: Evidence from Equity Research Platforms. Paper presented at The Eighteenth Workshop on e-Business (WeB 2019), Munich, Germany. 14 December - 14 December 2019. Proceedings of Eighteenth Workshop on E-Business (WeB), 2019.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Arvind Tripathi
- Berkman, H., Jona, J., Lee, G., & Soderstrom, N. (2018). Cybersecurity awareness and market valuations. JOURNAL OF ACCOUNTING AND PUBLIC POLICY, 37 (6), 508-526. 10.1016/j.jaccpubpol.2018.10.003
- Berkman, H., & Koch, P. D. (2017). DRIPs and the dividend pay date effect. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 52 (4), 1765-1795. 10.1017/S0022109017000394