Dr Dan Tisch
PhD, MBA and BSc
Dan joined the Department of Management and International Business at The University of Auckland in 2007. Prior to this, Dan held positions at Auckland University of Technology, Massey University and Bénédict International, Switzerland. Dan has worked as an ecologist and consultant in the forest industry in Canada over a period of 10 years.
Business and the natural environment
Interactive simulations and Team Based Learning (TBL)
Research | Current
Dan's research focuses on organisations and the natural environment. Dan is co-convenor of the Resilience and Sustainability Collaborative Group in the Department of Management and International Business. Currently the group is comprised of 12 academics and doctoral students who meet regularly to discuss research content and processes to advance our individual research agendas.
Teaching | Current
2019 INTBUS 202 Foundations of Strategy
2019 BUSMGT 741 International Business Environment
2018 INTBUS 202 Foundations of Strategy
2017 INTBUS 202 Foundations of Strategy
2016 MAORIDEV 738 Strategic Planning
Dan is supervising PhD and masters students whose work is positioned in theories at the intersection of strategic management and the natural environment. These focus on the Resource-Based View, Sensemaking, Strategy-as-Practice, Dynamic Capabilities, Earth Systems and Ecological Materiality and include theories of Sustainability.
- 2012 - 2015 MSA Charitable Trust PhD Scholarship, The University of Auckland
- 2009 "Master Professor", The Business Strategy Game Simulation, www.bsg-online.com
2019 Co-convenor for the Resilience and Sustainability Collaborative Group in the Department of Management and International Business
2019 Seminar Series Coordinator for Management and International Business Department
2019 Social and Environmental Community of Practice Group for the Faculty of Business and Economics
2016-2018 Research Committee for Management and International Business Department
2018-2019 Future of Work Task Force for Management and International Business Department
2016 - 2018 and 2010 Career’s Day Coordinator for Management and International Business Department
Areas of expertise
Cognition in Strategic Management
Agribusiness and Climate Change
Simulations for teaching
- 2019 Co-convenor for Resilience and Sustainability Collaborative Group in the Department of Management and International Business
- 2010, 2016-2019 Careers Day Coordinator for International Business, Management and Innovation and Entrepreneurship Majors in the Faculty of Business and Economics
- 2010-2011 Chair, Student Staff Consultative Committee for the Deparment of Management and International Business
- 2008 Member, Undergraduate Committee for the Department of Management and International Business
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tisch, D. (2017). If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em: Social emulation strategy not more climate models for climate change adaptation in the agricultural sector. Paper presented at Sub-theme 33: Organizational Struggles over the Natural Environment, Copenhagen, Denmark. 6 July - 8 July 2017. (pp. 29).
- Tisch, D. (2016). Size does matter: Natural materiality in collective sensemaking. Paper presented at 32nd EGOS Colloquium, Naples, New Zealand. 7 July - 9 July 2016.