Dr Haiping Zhang
Ph.D in Economics, University of Bonn (2006), M.A. in Economics, UIBE (2000), B.A. in Economics, UIBE(1997)
Haiping joined the Department of Economics at the University of Auckland in July 2016. Prior to this, he held positions as assistant professor of economics at Singapore Management University and research fellow at Bonn University (Germany). Haiping received his PhD in Economics in 2006 from Bonn University in Germany. His research focuses on International Macroeconomics and Trade, Financial Development and Structural Changes.
Research | Current
Trade Integration, Income Divergence, and Global Imbalances, 2016. Here is the online appendix for the technical proofs and other supporting materials. Presentation slides.
Teaching | Current
ECON241 International Economics
Areas of expertise
Macroeconomics, International Economics, Financial Market Imperfections, Development Economics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Zhang, H. (2018). Trade-driven sectoral upgrading and the global imbalances. Auckland, New Zealand: University of Auckland Business School, Department of Economics. Related URL.
- Zhang, H. (2017). Wealth inequality and financial development: revisiting the symmetry breaking mechanism. Economic Theory, 63 (4), 997-1025. 10.1007/s00199-016-0977-0
- Zhang, H. (2017). Inequality, Growth and “Hot” Money [Book Review]. Journal of Economic Psychology, 59, 180-182. 10.1016/j.joep.2017.02.011
- von Hagen, J., & Zhang, H. (2014). International Capital Flows in the Model with Limited Commitment and Incomplete Markets. Open Economies Review, 25 (1), 195-224. 10.1007/s11079-013-9303-7
- von Hagen, J., & Zhang, H. (2014). Financial development, international capital flows, and aggregate output. Journal of Development Economics, 106, 66-77. 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2013.08.010
- von Hagen, J., & Zhang, H. (2008). A Welfare Analysis of Capital Account Liberalization. Review of International Economics, 16 (3), 576-590. 10.1111/j.1467-9396.2008.00746.x
- von Hagen, J., & Zhang, H. (2008). Financial frictions, capital reallocation, and aggregate fluctuations. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 32 (3), 978-999. 10.1016/j.jedc.2007.04.003
- von Hagen, J., & Zhang, H. (2006). Financial Liberalization in a Small Open Economy. Open Economies Review, 17 (4-5), 373-398. 10.1007/s11079-006-0355-9