Professor Paul Rouse
PhD, MCom Accounting (1st Class Hons), BCom Accounting, CA
Research | Current
Paul Rouse's research area is performance and productivity measurement with specialist applications to transport, education and health. Current research includes productivity modelling, case mix funding models, complexity, cost and performance in hospitals and revenue and cost management systems..
Teaching | Current
- 2014 ACCTG 323 Performance Measurement and Evaluation
- 2019 ACCTG 781 Efficiency and Productivity Measurement
2018 Business School Research Excellence Award for Excellence in Research and contribution to the research environment within the Business School and the discipline, including evidence of leadership
2017 Research Excellence Award Department of Accounting and Finance
2010 Faculty Research Excellence Award for Research Relevance through Impact on Pedagogy, Policy and / or Practice.
Department of Accounting and Finance Teaching Award.
1995 New Zealand Society of Accountants Research PhD Scholarship ($3,000).
1992 Transit New Zealand Doctoral Scholarship ($30,000).
1974 Fowlds Memorial Prize in Commerce; Chamber of Commerce Scholarship.
Areas of expertise
- Costing systems
- Data envelopment analysis (DEA)
- Health performance and case mix
- Performance measurement systems
- Road maintenance management
- 2014 Co-Editor Pacific Accounting Review
- 2012 Regional Associate Editor for the Asian region: Journal of Centrum Cathedra.
- 2010 Associate Editor Journal of Data Envelopment Analysis.
- 2010 Associate Editor Pacific Accounting Review.
- 2007 Organiser of the inaugural New Zealand Management Accounting Conference "Small Country Big Laboratory", April, 2007 Auckland.
- 2013 Panel member for committee to review the Bachelor of Health Science, School of Population Health.
- 2011 Present Chair Advisory Group to Head of Accounting and Finance Department.
- 2008 Present Chair A&F Teaching & Learning Committee.
- Department of Accounting and Finance Academic Leader on the BBIM.
- Head of Management Accounting area in Department of Accounting and Finance.
- New Zealand Vice Chancellors Committee Representative on NZ Qualifications Authority.
- Member of Chartered Accountants College, New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants and Operations Research Society of New Zealand.
- Council member of Operations Research Society of New Zealand.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Parsons, M., Parsons, J., Pillai, A., Rouse, P., Mathieson, S., Bregmen, R., ... Kenealy, T. (2020). Post-Acute Care for Older People Following Injury: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 21 (3), 404-409.e1. 10.1016/j.jamda.2019.08.015
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Avinesh Pillai, Matthew Parsons, John Parsons, Timothy Kenealy
- Biswas, S., Rouse, A., Lucianetti, L., & Wei, Y. (2019). The Impact of Antecedents of Balanced Scorecard Adoption on Implementation and Performance. Paper presented at Performance Measurement Association Australasia Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand. 24 April - 26 April 2019. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sharlene Biswas, Lucy Wei
- Biswas, S., Rouse, A., & Wei, Y. (2019). The Impact of Antecedents of Balanced Scorecard Adoption on Implementation and Performance. Paper presented at Performance Measurement Association Australasia Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand. 24 April - 26 April 2019. Related URL.
- Raith, A., Rouse, P., & Seiford, L. M. (2019). Benchmarking Using Data Envelopment Analysis: Application to Stores of a Post and Banking Business. In S. Huber, M. J. Geiger, A. T. de Almeida (Eds.) Multiple Criteria Decision Making/Aiding methods: Building and Solving Decision Models with Computer Implementations (pp. 1-39). Springer. 10.1007/978-3-319-99304-1_1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrea Raith
- Hasannasab, M., Margaritis, Roshdi, I., & Rouse (2019). Hyperbolic efficiency measurement: A conic programming approach. European Journal of Operational Research10.1016/j.ejor.2018.12.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maryam Hasannasab, Dimitris Margaritis
- Sandiford, P., Vivas Consuelo, D., Rouse, P., & Bramley, D. (2018). The trade-off between equity and efficiency in population health gain: Making it real. Social science & medicine (1982), 212, 136-144. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.07.005
- McKenna, B., Skipworth, J., Tapsell, R., Pillai, K., Madell, D., Simpson, A., ... Rouse, P. (2018). Impact of an assertive community treatment model of care on the treatment of prisoners with a serious mental illness. Australasian psychiatry : bulletin of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 26 (3), 285-289. 10.1177/1039856217748247
- Parsons, M., Rouse, P., Sajtos, L., Harrison, J., Parsons, J., & Gestro, L. (2018). Developing and utilising a new funding model for home-care services in New Zealand. Health & social care in the community, 26 (3), 345-355. 10.1111/hsc.12525
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Parsons, Matthew Parsons, Laszlo Sajtos, Julie Harrison