Dr Peter Zamborsky
DPhil, MSc and MA.
Peter specializes in international business, strategy and innovation. Prior to his job at the University of Auckland, Peter was an instructor at Harvard University and lecturer at Brandeis University in Boston, where he earned his doctorate. He earned his Master of Science degree from the London School of Economics. From 1999 to 2002, Peter worked for the Economist Group (a publisher of The Economist magazine) in London, UK and Europe.
Peter published in a range of journals in international business, management, business administration and economics. He is on editorial (review) boards of several journals including International Journal of Emerging Markets (Emerald Publishing). His research focuses on foreign direct investment, foreign market entry modes and global innovation. Peter co-authored Contemporary International Business in the Asia-Pacific Region (Cambridge University Press, 2019) and a number of book chapters and case studies with publishers including Cambridge University Press, SAGE, Springer, and Routledge. He was quoted by media including Wall Street Journal and BBC.
Research | Current
Foreign direct investment (FDI) spillovers
Host country effects of FDI
Non-equity foreign market entry modes
Entry mode performance (JVs, M&As)
Asian-Pacific M&As and innovation
Teaching | Current
|2007||2007||Harvard University, Boston, US||Instructor|
|2005||2008||Brandeis University, Boston, US||Lecturer|
|1999||2002||Economist Group, London, UK||Researcher|
|2021||INTBUS 300||Firms Across Frontiers|
|2021||INTBUS 307||International Management and Strategy|
|2021||BUS 111||Understanding Business|
Ansab Qureshi, Once an MNE, always an MNE? Cognitive effects of multinationality (PhD candidate)
Pousonida Phin, Developing Dynamic Capability in Response to Global Business Uncertainties (PhD candidate)
Mohammad Rahman, Internationalisation of fashion retail firms from developing countries (PhD candidate)
Jospin Uwaci, Subsidiaries' learning: the role of dual relational embeddedness (MCom candidate)
Atharva Joshi, Energy Business Transition in the Oil & Gas Industry: Strategy for Sustainability (MCom candidate)
Hai En Tan, Cultural Attitudes and investment in the biotech sectors of New Zealand and the US (MBE candidate)
Research Associate of the Europe Institute
Best Reviewer Award - Strategic Management Society Annual Conference 2020 - the Global Strategy Interest Group
International Journal of Emerging Markets (Editorial Review Board)
New Zealand Journal of Research on Europe (Editor-in-Chief)
Forum Scientiae Oeconomia (Editorial Board)
Europe Institute (Advisory Board)
Areas of expertise
International business, strategic management, innovation.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Ingršt I, & Zamborsky, P. (2020). Knowledge flows, strategic motives and innovation performance: Insights from Australian and New Zealand investment in Europe. Journal of Management and Organization10.1017/jmo.2020.1
- Zámborský P (2020). A blueprint for succeeding despite uncertain global markets. Journal of Business Strategy10.1108/JBS-01-2020-0010
- Jensen, C., & Zámborský P (2020). Balancing to Utopia: Multinationals in Oligarchies. In S. McGuire, R. Strange, V. Shirodkar (Eds.) Non-market Strategies in International Business (pp. 41-73). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. 10.1007/978-3-030-35074-1_3
- Zamborsky, P. (2019). De-globalisation, populism, and the future of Europe. New Zealand Journal of Research on Europe, 13 (1), 1-14. Related URL.
- Zamborsky, P., & Larsen, M. (2019). Cross-border M&A motives and home country institutions. Paper presented at European Academy of Management Annual Conference (EURAM), Lisbon, Portugal. 25 June - 28 June 2019. Related URL.
- Verbeke, A., Roberts, R. E., Delaney, D., Zamborsky, P., Enderwick, P., & Nagar, S. (2019). Contemporary international business in the Asia-Pacific region. Port Melbourne, Australia: Cambridge University Press. Pages: 503. Related URL.
- Zamborsky, P. (2019). International Business and Global Strategy (2nd). London, United Kingdom: bookboon.com. Pages: 177.
- Gomes-Casseres, B., Jenkins, M., & Zamborsky, P. (2019). Profitability of joint ventures abroad: Explaining a new empirical puzzle. In F. Contractor, J. Reuer (Eds.) Frontiers of strategic alliance research: Negotiating, structuring and governing partnerships (pp. 322-336). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 10.1017/9781108236188.020