Dr William Cheung
BSSc, MPhil, MSc, PhD HK, MRICS
Dr William K.S. Cheung is a Lecturer in Property at the University of Auckland Business School. He obtained his PhD from The University of Hong Kong (HKU). His research and teaching interests cover a wide range of issues in the real estate market, including but not limited to the commercial property market, institutional analysis, lease contracts and housing policy. Aiming to make the most of his expert knowledge and experience, William aspires to be a housing policy specialist to provide professional input to the policy formulation on affordable housing. Prior to his PhD study, William served as an economist at the HKSAR Government and worked as an assistant manager in the Asia Pacific Research Department at CBRE, a globally renowned real estate company. He is a chartered surveyor at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS). William was also a Fulbright Scholar at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) during 2016 to 2017. He also held various academic appointments at other institutions including the graduate visiting fellow at UCLA, alumni fellow in the Ronald Coase Institute, research fellow of the Ronald Coase Centre for Property Rights Research at HKUrban Lab and research scholar at the Lee Hysan Foundation in Hong Kong.
Research | Current
- Residential mobility and housing subsidies
- Housing wealth effects for private and subsidized homeowner
- Informed trades and price dispersion in real estate market
- Land policies and administration
Teaching | Current
- PROP 763 Urban Economic Analysis
- Fulbright-Lee Hysan Hong Kong Research Scholar Award 2016-2017
- Global Chinese Real Estate Congress 2017 Doctoral Session Travel Award 2017
- AREUEA-ASSA Doctoral Session Travel Fund Award 2016
- Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund Postgraduate Scholarship 2015-16, 2016-17 2016, 2017
- Eric Lye Memorial Travelling Scholarship 2015-16 2016
- The University of Hong Kong Postgraduate Fellowship 2014-2017
- IPSA-NUS Methods School Grant Fellowship 2016
- The Ronald Coase Institute Fellowship 2014
- Centenary Scholarship, Faculty of Architecture, HKU 2014-2015
- Reaching Out Award, HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund 2015
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (HK) Scholarship 2014
- Best Teaching Assistant Award, Economics Department, CUHK 2006-2007 & 2007-2008
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong Postgraduate Fellowship 2006-2008
- Conference committee, 2018 Pacific Rim Real Estate Society Conference, Auckland, New Zealand
- Chartered Surveyor, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS; Chartered ID: 6362475)
- Graduate Visiting Researcher, Luskin School of Public Affairs, UCLA 2016-2017
- Affiliate, The Ronald Coase Centre for Property Rights Research (RCCPRR), HKU 2016-present
- Alumni, IPSA-NUS Methods School 2016
- Alumni, The Ronald Coase Institute (RCI) 2014
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wong, S. K., Deng, K. K., & Cheung, K. S. (2018). Housing wealth effects for private and subsidized homeowners. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis10.1108/IJHMA-07-2017-0067
- Li, L. H., Cheung, K. S., & Han, S. Y. (2018). The impacts of cross-border tourists on local retail property market: an empirical analysis of Hong Kong. Journal of Property Research, 35 (3), 252-270. 10.1080/09599916.2018.1511628
- Wong, S. K., Deng, K. K., & Cheung, K. (2017). How do resale constraints affect housing wealth effects?. Paper presented at Global Chinese Real Estate Congress, Hangzhou, China. 1 July - 3 July 2017.
- Cheung, K. S. (2017). Residential mobility and housing subsidies: Theory and evidence from Hong Kong. Paper presented at 30th Annual AREUEA Doctoral Session 2017, Chicago, USA. 5 January - 8 January 2017.
- Cheung, K. S. (2017). The lock-in effects of subsidized homeownership in Hong Kong. Paper presented at Global Chinese Real Estate Congress, Taiwan. 9 July - 12 July 2017.
- Wong, S. K., Deng, K. K., & Cheung, K. S. (8/7/2016). How do resale constraints affect housing wealth effects?. Poster presented at AREUEA (American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association) International Conference, Alicante, Spain.
- Li, L.-H., Wong, S. K. K., & Cheung, K. S. (2016). Land supply and housing prices in Hong Kong: The political economy of urban land policy. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 34 (5), 981-998. 10.1177/0263774X15614699
- Cheung, W. K. S. (2016). Lease renewal discount or premium? Evidence from office market in Hong Kong. Paper presented at The 14th Academic Conference for Post-graduate Students in Construction Management and Real Estate, Shenzhen, China. 7 January - 7 January 2016.