Professor Roderick John Brodie
PhD, MA, BSc
Roderick J Brodie (PhD) is Professor in the Department of Marketing at the University of Auckland of Business School, New Zealand. His research and teaching experience is in the areas of marketing theory, strategy, branding and service research.
He has consulted with a range of government and business areas of Strategy and Branding Marketing Analysis and acted as an expert witness in a number of landmark legal cases.
His publications have appeared in leading international journals including; Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Management Science, Journal of Service Research. He is an associate editor of the Journal of Service Research and Marketing Theory and has served on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Marketing, the International Journal of Research in Marketing, the Journal of Service Research, and the Australasian Journal of Marketing. He has been active in the development of Marketing Education in Australasia and internationally and 1998 was the founding president of the Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC), in 2002 was presented with the ANZMAC Distinguished Researcher and in 2004 he was made one of the founding Fellows.
In 2011 he was elected as the 1st Southern hemisphere Fellow for the European Marketing Academy (EMAC). In 2004 he was recognised with the University of Auckland’s Business School’s Research Excellence Award for Sustained Research Performance. He has held visiting professorships at a number of leading US and European Business Schools. He is currently serving on the Royal Society Marsden Social Science Panel and has served the national PBRF panel Business and Economics.
Rod is interested in opera, jazz, reading and wine. He is a keen walker and swimmer and makes the most of the abundant outdoor activities available in New Zealand.
Research | Current
- Relationship marketing and marketing strategy
- Managing brands
- Service management
- Marketing theory
Teaching | Current
In the last 4 decades taught at undergraduate, postgraduate and executive levels. Courses include marketing principles, marketing management, strategic marketing, marketing research, product and brand management, quantitative methods, marketing models, forecasting methods in marketing.
Supervised 8 PhD and 34 research master theses.
- 2014 Appointed Associate Editor for Journal of Service Research
- 2013 Chair for Annual ANZMAC Conference, University of Auckland (350 participants 30 countries)
- 2013 Reappointed as Honouree Professor, University of Nottingham
- 2013 Best Paper Award at the Naples Forum on Service
- 2013 Appointed to the Royal Society Marsden Social Science Panel
- 2012 Inducted to the NZ Marketing Association Hall of Fame for Career Contributions
- 2011 Appointed to 2012 PBRF Panel
- 2011 Elected as Fellow of the European Marketing Academy
- 2009 Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing: Award for Distinguished Contributions to the Field of B2B Marketing
- 2004 Distinguished Contribution Award (for sustained contribution to the development of The University of Auckland Business School)
- Founding Fellow Australia New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC)
- 2004 University of Auckland Business School Research Excellence award (for sustained research performance)
- 2002 Best Reviewer - Journal of Services Research
- 2002 Distinquished Researcher in Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy
- 1998 Distinguished Marketing Educator in Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy
- Senior Associate Dean 2003-2008
- Head of Department 1988 to June 1999, July 2002 to June 2003, January 2007-January 2014
- Faculty Staffing Committee 1998-2000, 2002- 2010
- Chair Faculty Staffing Committee 2004-2006
- University Staffing Committee 2004-2006
Areas of expertise
Marketing theory, branding, service management.
- Associate Editor, Journal Service Research, 2014, Review Board, 1997–2013 (ABDC A*)
- Associate Editor, Marketing Theory, 2011- present, Area Editor 2001-10 (ABDC A)
- Senior Advisory Board, European Journal of Marketing 2006- present (ABDC A*)
- Senior Advisory Board, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing 2006- present (ABDC A)
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Marketing, 2005-2011 (ABDC A*)
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 1992-2012. (ABDC A*)
- Editorial Review Board, Australasian Journal of Marketing, 1997 –present (ABDC B)
- Editor of Special Issues/ Sections Marketing Theory 2014, Australasian Marketing Journal 2010, Marketing Theory 2009 Australasian Journal of Marketing, 2006. Marketing Theory, 2003 New Zealand Journal of Business, 1995. New Zealand Journal of Business, 1988
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Witell, L., Anderson, L., Brodie, R. J., Colurcio, M., Edvardsson, B., Kristensson, P., ... Wallin Andreassen, T. (2015). Exploring dualities of service innovation: implications for service research. Journal of Services Marketing, 29 (6/7), 436-441. 10.1108/JSM-01-2015-0051
- Brodie, R. J. (2015). No one measure fits all: Towards a meaningful portfolio of research performance measures. Commentary on the Soutar, Wilkinson,& Young article. Australasian Marketing Journal, 23 (2), 165-166. 10.1016/j.ausmj.2015.04.012
- Sajtos, L., Kreis, H., & Brodie, R. (2015). Image, brand relationships and customer value Exploring the moderating role of advertising spending- and labour-intensity in customer loyalty. JOURNAL OF SERVICE THEORY AND PRACTICE, 25 (1), 51-74. 10.1108/JSTP-11-2013-0261
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Laszlo Sajtos
- F. Breidbach C, Brodie, R., & Hollebeek, L. (2014). Beyond virtuality: from engagement platforms to engagement ecosystems. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 24 (6), 592-611. 10.1108/MSQ-08-2013-0158
- Brodie, R. J., & Storbacka, K. (2014). Collaborative theorising about markets and marketing and service-dominant logic. Marketing Theory, 14 (3), 231-237. 10.1177/1470593114534338
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kaj Storbacka
- Peters, L. D., Lobler, H., Brodie, R. J., Breidbach, C. F., Hollebeek, L. D., Smith, S. D., ... Varey, R. J. (2014). Theorizing about resource integration through service-dominant logic. Marketing Theory, 14 (3), 249-268. 10.1177/1470593114534341
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sandra Smith
- Hollebeek, L. D., Glynn, M. S., & Brodie, R. J. (2014). Consumer brand engagement in social media: Conceptualization, scale development and validation. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 28 (2), 149-165. 10.1016/j.intmar.2013.12.002
- Benson-Rea, M., Brodie, R. J., & Sima, H. (2013). The plurality of co-existing business models: Investigating the complexity of value drivers. Industrial Marketing Management, 42 (5), 717-729. 10.1016/j.indmarman.2013.05.011
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maureen Benson-Rea, Herbert Sima