Dr Stephen Poletti
PhD (Physics) University of Newcastle, UK. PhD (Economics) , University of Auckland
I was appointed as a lecturer in the Economics department in 2009. Prior to that I had a post-doc position in the Physics department at the University of Adelaide. My research area is Energy Economics and Industrial Organisation.
Research | Current
My main research area is Energy Economics. Current projects include (1) modelling the impact of real-time electricity prices on market power in electricity markets (2) calculating market power rents in the NZ electricity market in the wholesale market (3) The impact of large scale low marginal cost renewables on the NZ electricity market (4) Using NASA MERA data to understand the potwntial for wind generation of electricity in New Zealand. (5) The otential for local energy innovation ine NZ (5) Modelling the uptake of electric cars using a feebate system.
Teaching | Current
ECON 372 Energy and Environmental Economics
Econ 783 Energy Economics
Areas of expertise
Energy Economics, Electricity Markets, Environmental Economics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Poletti, S., & Wright, J. (2020). Real Time Pricing and Imperfect Competition in Electricity Markets. Journal of Industrial Economics, 68 (1), 93-135. 10.1111/joie.12215
- MacArthur, J. L., Matthewman, S., Berka, A., Poletti, S., & Bargh, M. (2018). Policy strategies for inclusive renewable energy in Aotearoa (New Zealand). Auckland: Public Policy Institute, University of Auckland. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julie MacArthur, Steve Matthewman
- Poletti, S. J. (2018). Market Power in the NZ wholesale market 2010-2016. Energy Centre, University of Auckland. Related URL.
- Staffell, I., Poletti, S., & Gholmani, M. (2018). Wind, rain, fire and sun: towards zero carbon electricity for New Zealand. Paper presented at Conference on Renewable Energy and Electricity Markets, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. 24 March - 24 May 2018.
- Poletti, S. (2017). Real time pricing and market power: A New Zealand case study. IAEE Energy Forum (3rd Quarter), 17-19.
- Browne, O., Poletti, S., & Young, D. (2015). How does market power affect the impact of large scale wind investment in 'energy only' wholesale electricity markets?. Energy Policy, 87, 17-27. 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.030
- Poletti, S., Browne, O., & Young, D. (2015). How Does Market Power Affect the Impact of Large Scale Wind Investment in ‘Energy Only’ Wholesale Electricity Markets?. IAEE Energy Forum (Special issue), 21-22. Related URL.
- Poletti, S., Browne, O., & Young, D. (2015). How does market power affect the impact of large scale wind investment in 'energy only' wholesale electricity markets?. IAEE Energy Forum, 2015 (3rd Quarter), 21-22. Related URL.