Professor Timothy John Hazledine
PhD, MA, MA, BA
Tim Hazledine joined the Department in 1992 after two decades living in England and Canada. He was educated at Otago and Canterbury before enrolling at Warwick in 1972 to study industrial organisation. He has taught at Otago, Warwick, Balliol College Oxford, Queen's University in Ontario and at the University of British Columbia where he was in the department of Agricultural Economics from 1983 to 1992. Professor Hazledine also has experience in government and consulting.
Over the 1991-2 academic year he held the T.D.MacDonald Chair in Industrial Economics at the Bureau of Competition Policy, in Ottawa. His research agenda is focused on problems of competitiveness and unemployment in small trading economies and competition and competition policy, most recently in the context of passenger air travel markets. His specialist teaching interests are Industrial Organisation, Public Economics, and Economic Reform in developed and transition economies.
Areas of expertise
- Impacts of NZ's economic liberalisation policy alternatives for NZ
- Trade & growth
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hazledine, T. (2014). Searching for the sweet spot: The determinants of direct services from Canadian airports. JOURNAL OF AIR TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT, 41, 50-55. 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2014.06.015
- Hazledine, T. J. (2013). The Inequality Divide, Tim Hazledine. "Inequality: A New Zealand Crisis", Max Rashbrokke (ed), Bridget Williams Books, ISBN 9781927131510. "Judgements of All Kinds: Economic Policy-Making in New Zealand, 1945-1984, Jim McAloon, Victoria University Press, ISBN 9780864738974. New Zealand Books, posted December 5, 2013New Zealand. Related URL.
- Hazledine, T. J. (2013). Get off the Grass, by Shaun Hendy and Paul Callaghan (Book review). NZ Listener, 12 September 2013 (12 September 2013). Related URL.
- Hazledine, T., & Bunker, R. (2013). Airport size and travel time. Journal of Air Transport Management, 32, 17-23. 10.1016/j.jairtraman.2013.06.003
- Hazledine, T. J., & Gillen, D. (2013). Pricing and competition in Regional Airline Services – A six country comparison. Paper presented at German Aviation Research Society (GARS) Research Workshop, University of St Gallen, Switzerland. 13 November - 13 November 2013. Managing Risk in Air Transport. Related URL.
- Hazledine, T. J. (2013). Open skies and antitrust: Do we need them both? A review of the Air New Zealand cases. In P. Forsyth, D. Gillen, K. Hueschelrath, H.-M. Niemeier, H. Wolf (Eds.) Liberalization in Aviation: Competition, Cooperation and Public Policy (pp. 221-231). Burlington, Vermont, USA: Ashgate.
- Hazledine, T. J., Donovan, S., & Bolland, J. (2013). The Contribution of Public Transport to Economic Productivity. NZ Transport Agency Research Report 514 Wellington, NZ. Related URL.
- Hazledine, T. J. (2013). Merger Policy when one price doesn’t fit all; Price discrimination and policy in airline markets. Paper presented at 1st ATE Symposium, Competition Policy Issues: Theory meets Practice, Massey University, Albany. 12 December - 13 December 2013. Related URL.