Professor Timothy John Hazledine
PhD, MA, MA, BA
Tim Hazledine joined the Department in 1992 after two decades living in England and Canada. He was educated at Otago and Canterbury before enrolling at Warwick in 1972 to study industrial organisation. He has taught at Otago, Warwick, Balliol College Oxford, Queen's University in Ontario and at the University of British Columbia where he was in the department of Agricultural Economics from 1983 to 1992. Professor Hazledine also has experience in government and consulting.
Over the 1991-2 academic year he held the T.D.MacDonald Chair in Industrial Economics at the Bureau of Competition Policy, in Ottawa. His research agenda is focused on problems of competitiveness and unemployment in small trading economies and competition and competition policy, most recently in the context of passenger air travel markets. His specialist teaching interests are Industrial Organisation, Public Economics, and Economic Reform in developed and transition economies.
Areas of expertise
- Impacts of NZ's economic liberalisation policy alternatives for NZ
- Trade & growth
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hazledine, T., Donovan, S., & Mak, C. (2017). Urban agglomeration benefits from public transit improvements: Extending and implementing the Venables model. Research in Transportation Economics10.1016/j.retrec.2017.09.002
- Hazledine, T. (2017). A Few Hares to Chase: The Life and Economics of Bill Phillips. JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PSYCHOLOGY, 61, 266-268. 10.1016/j.joep.2017.06.001
- Hazledine, T., & Rashbrooke, M. (2017). The New Zealand rich list twenty years on. New Zealand Economic Papers, 1-15. 10.1080/00779954.2017.1354907
- Hazledine, T. (2017). Mixed pricing in monopoly and oligopoly: theory and implications for merger analysis. New Zealand Economic Papers, 51 (2), 122-135. 10.1080/00779954.2017.1299198
- Gillen, D., & Hazledine, T. (2016). Pricing of Regional Airline Services in Australia and New Zealand, 2011-2015. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 35 (2), 87-98. 10.1111/1759-3441.12133
- Hazledine, T. (2015). PRICE DISCRIMINATION, MERGER POLICY, AND THE COMPETITIVE CONSTRAINT OF LOW-VALUE CUSTOMERS IN AIRLINE MARKETS. Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 11 (4), 975-998. 10.1093/joclec/nhv031
- Gillen, D., & Hazledine, T. (2015). The economics and geography of regional airline services in six countries. Journal of Transport Geography, 46, 129-136. 10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2015.06.009
- Hazledine, T. (2015). Economics and the meaning of life. New Zealand Sociology, 30 (3), 68-78.